Chapter 1 General Provisions
Article 1 Scope of these Terms and Changes
- These Terms shall be applied to all aspects relating to the use of the Services.
- Individual terms separately posted by Tokyo 2020 on the Site or any other website referred to by the Site shall constitute an integral part of these Terms. In cases where there is any discrepancy between the provisions in such individual terms and these Terms, these Terms shall prevail.
- Tokyo 2020 may make additions and changes to these Terms within a reasonable scope and by a reasonable method, without the need to obtain consent from the ID User. The ID User shall be deemed to have consented to these Terms incorporating the relevant additions/changes upon using the Site or the Services once these Terms with such additions/changes have been posted on the Site.
Article 2 Definitions
- "Games" means the Games of the XXXII Olympiad and the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games to be held in 2020.
- "ID User" means an individual who has made an application for the Services and whose application has been approved by Tokyo 2020.
- "Applicant" means an individual who wishes to become an ID User.
- "User Registration Information" means the information input by the Applicant on the registration form during the course of registering for the Services.
- "User Information" collectively means personal information of the ID User acquired by Tokyo 2020, including the User Registration Information, various types of Posted Information, activity history (information collected automati
- "Contents" means all the information and software existing on the systems and web servers constituting the Services.
- "Posted Information" means the texts, still images and moving images posted by the ID User through the use of the Services.
- "ID" (also known as a "TOKYO 2020 ID"), means a character string determined by the Applicant as that required to be input when using the Site based on a method set out thereon (including a character string which the ID User may
- "Password" means a character string determined by the Applicant that is required to be input following input of the ID (including a character string which the ID User may subsequently change from time to time).
- "Social Media Login Service" means a service which enables an ID User to log into the Site using an account from a service operated by another entity (an "External Service").
Article 3 Means of Communication
- Notifications from Tokyo 2020 to the ID User shall be conducted by email, phone, general announcement on the internet, or by any other method deemed appropriate by Tokyo 2020.
- When a notification in the preceding paragraph is given by email, such notification shall be deemed to become effective upon Tokyo 2020 having sent the email.
- Notifications given by Tokyo 2020 to the ID User shall be deemed to comprise part of these Terms.
Chapter 2 User Registration, Cancellation
Article 4 Application for User Registration
- After the Applicant has consented to these Terms, he/she shall take steps to register as a user on the Site’s user registration screen. Such steps include giving consent regarding the handling of User Information.
- The application for use of the Services shall be made by the Applicant him/herself as a beneficiary of the Services.
- The Applicant shall input only true and accurate information.
- If the Applicant is a minor, an adult ward, a person under curatorship, or a person who requires legal assistance, such Applicant shall obtain consent from his/her legal representative, such as a person in parental authority, in advance.
- Tokyo 2020 may not accept an application in cases where the Applicant falls under any of the following:
- The Applicant is already an ID User;
- The Applicant has previously received punishment due to violation of these Terms, such as cancellation of his/her user qualifications;
- Information in the application contains any falsehood, error or omission;
- The legal representative’s consent set forth in the preceding paragraph has not been obtained;
- Tokyo 2020 determines that the Applicant is connected to any anti-social forces; or
- Tokyo 2020 otherwise determines the application to be unsuitable
- Tokyo 2020 stipulates the following items concerning the ID registration and the use of the Services by minors:
- The online services provided by Tokyo 2020 are not intended for people under the age of 13 in the United States, and such people are not permitted to obtain an ID;
- Tokyo 2020 will not distribute any email newsletters or otherwise provide information on products or services via email to any ID User under the age of 16 in the European Economic Area (EEA), except where his/her consent is not required under applicable laws; and
- In addition to the above stipulations, in countries or territories outside Japan, if applicable law requires consent to be obtained from a person in parental authority or a guardian in order for a minor to register for an ID or to use the Services, and where Tokyo 2020 has a duty to verify such consent, a minor in such country or territory may not apply for an ID or use the Services.
- If any registration of an ID or use of the Services in violation of the preceding paragraph is found, Tokyo 2020 will take measures such as deleting the ID or suspending the provision of the Services.
Article 5 Social Media Login Service
- User registration for the use of the Service shall be required even in the case of using the Social Media Login Service.
- When intending to use the Services through using the Social Media Login Service, the Applicant must take steps by him/herself to link the account for the Services and the account for the relevant external service (hereafter refe
- Tokyo 2020 shall provide the User Information on the Applicant to the operator of the relevant linked external service to the extent necessary to provide the Social Media Login Service.
Article 6 Completion of User Registration
- User registration shall be deemed complete upon Tokyo 2020 having approved the Application pursuant to these Terms.
- In terms of the completion of the user registration set forth in the preceding paragraph, Tokyo 2020’s approval of the Applicant’s user registration shall be deemed to be notified upon display of a statement on the user regist
- Tokyo 2020 may provide services which are limited to only those ID Users who have completed the user registration.
Article 7 Registration Termination
When an ID User wishes to terminate his/her registration, he/she shall follow the method specified by Tokyo 2020. Termination of a registration shall be deemed to have been completed upon Tokyo 2020 giving notification to the effect that the registration termination processing has been completed.
Chapter 3 ID User's Obligations and Responsibilities
Article 8 Principle of Self-responsibility
- The ID User shall procure, at his/her own responsibility and expense, the necessary communications equipment, contracts for software, etc. and internet connection environment to use the Services. Further, the ID User shall bear all communication and connection costs, etc. related to the use of the Services (including inquiries).
- The saving of back-up data of the information posted by an ID User shall be performed at such ID User’s responsibility and expense.
- The ID User shall handle and resolve, at his/her own responsibility and expense, any inquiries, complaints and other disputes from third parties arising out of or relating to such ID User harming the reputation of others, intruding upon others’ privacy rights, disclosing personal information of others without their consent, or otherwise damaging others’ rights by way of the Posted Information.
- The ID User shall handle and resolve, at his/her own responsibility and expense, his/her requests, concerns and complaints about the actions of any third party taken on the Services, by directly interacting with the said third party.
- Tokyo 2020 accepts no responsibility for any matters relating to the preceding paragraphs, and the ID User shall not cause any inconvenience to Tokyo 2020 in relation thereto.
Article 9 Changes and Deletion of Registered Content
When any change occurs in the user registration information, the ID User shall promptly notify Tokyo 2020 of the change by a method specified by Tokyo 2020.
Article 10 Management of ID and Password
- The ID User shall strictly manage the ID and password granted to him/her by Tokyo 2020 (including IDs and passwords attached to the external service required for the Social Media Login Service provided for in Article 5; the same
- The ID User shall not allow any third party to use his/her ID and password and shall not lend, assign, sell/buy or pledge, etc. any of the rights or entitlements associated with his/her ID and password.
- The ID User shall immediately notify Tokyo 2020 of his/her ID or password having been stolen or its unauthorized use by a third party when the ID User becomes aware of the same.
Article 11 Intellectual Property Rights
- Any intellectual property rights related to the information or data constituting the Services (including content distributed via email newsletters, but excluding the Posted Information) (including the rights provided for in Articles 27 and 28 of the Copyright Act) shall belong to Tokyo 2020. The ID User shall not use (regardless of the method of such use) such information or data beyond the scope of the ID User’s private use as permitted under the Copyright Act, without consent from Tokyo 2020 or any other holder of the relevant right.
- All intellectual property rights pertaining to the trademarks, service marks, logos or the names of the service functions, etc. associated with the Services or the trademarks, service marks, logos, emblems etc. associated with the Olympic or Paralympic games (including the rights provided for in Articles 27 and 28 of the Copyright Act) shall belong to Tokyo 2020, or the International Olympic Committee, the International Paralympic Committee, the Japanese Olympic Committee or the Japanese Paralympic Committee (hereafter referred to collectively as the “IOC, etc.”), and the ID User shall not use the same without permission therefrom.
- The ID User shall grant Tokyo 2020 the free of charge right to copy, publicly disseminate, edit or modify, adapt and alter, and translate the Posted Information, as well as all necessary use rights thereover for Tokyo 2020’s operation of the Services and any other businesses related or incidental thereto. Further, the ID User shall not exercise any moral rights regarding the Posted Information against Tokyo 2020 or any person designated thereby.
- The ID User shall resolve, at his/her own responsibility and expense, any problem which may arise between the ID User and a third party regarding the content of or the rights and entitlements in relation to the Posted Information, and shall not cause any inconvenience to Tokyo 2020.
Article 12 Prohibited Matters
When using the Services, the ID User shall not engage in, and shall not cause a third party to engage in, any of the following acts:
- Acts that infringe, or may infringe, upon the copyright, property rights, image rights, privacy, reputation, creditworthiness or any other rights of any other ID User, a third party or Tokyo 2020;
- Acts that cause or may cause disadvantage or damage to any other ID User, a third party or Tokyo 2020;
- Acts that conflict with, or may conflict with, the laws or public morals;
- Acts of modifying all or part of the contents or creating derivative products based on the contents;
- The following spam-related acts:
- continuously posting identical or similar writing onto the Services,
- making a posting on the Service by listing multiple words that have little or no connection to the relevant site location or posting excessively long sentences or large volumes of words, or
- continuously posting the same URL onto the Services;
- Criminal acts, or acts leading to criminal acts, or acts which may constitute or lead to criminal acts;
- Acts relating to election activities, whether during an election period or not, and any acts comparable thereto;
- Acts related to sexual mores, religion or politics;
- Acts performed for a commercial purpose, through or related to the Services or preparatory acts thereof, without Tokyo 2020’s consent;
- Acts that prevent the smooth operation of the Services or may otherwise disturb the Services;
- Acts of sending, supplying, writing or otherwise using harmful programs such as computer viruses;
- Acts of attempting to use the Services through the use of software that performs automatic inputting or other methods that are inconsistent with methods which are recognized by Tokyo 2020 as being normal and legitimate;
- Acts that violate the Olympic Charter or any other rules stipulated by Tokyo 2020 or the IOC, etc.;
- Acts that facilitate any of the acts listed in the preceding items; or
- Other acts which Tokyo 2020 deems inappropriate
Chapter 4 Measures by Tokyo 2020
Article 13 Use of User Information
- Notwithstanding the preceding paragraph, Tokyo 2020 may provide the User Information described in the preceding paragraph to the International Olympic Committee, the International Paralympic Committee, the Japanese Olympic Committee, the Japanese Paralympic Committee, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, and the municipal governments related to the Games and events pertaining to the Games, as necessary. Further, notwithstanding the preceding paragraph, Tokyo 2020 may provide the User Information described in the preceding paragraph to the operators of the Tokyo 2020 Official Online Shop and other services coordinated with Tokyo 2020 (the “Coordinated Services”), when the ID User or the Applicant uses the Coordinated Services.
- In addition to the provisions in the preceding paragraph, in order to assist in the inheritance of the legacy or knowledge of the Olympic or Paralympic games after the Games, Tokyo 2020 may provide the User Information described in paragraph 1 to the organizations designated for such inheritance.
Article 14 Suspension or Cancellation of ID User Qualifications
- If any of the following matters apply to an ID User, Tokyo 2020 may suspend or cancel his/her qualification:
- It is found that such ID User has violated these Terms;
- Any of the items in Article 4.5 apply to such ID User;
- A delay or inability to discharge the duty to pay fees, etc. has occurred;
- The operation of the Services is disturbed, regardless of the means;
- It is found that multiple user registrations have been obtained by such ID User;
- The situation provided for in Article 8.3 has occurred;
- An act falling under any of the items in Article 12 has been performed; or
- Tokyo 2020 determines that such ID User is otherwise inappropriate
- In the event of the ID User’s qualification being suspended or cancelled in accordance with the preceding paragraph, Tokyo 2020 shall bear no liability to the ID User for any refund of the fees, etc. that have already been paid
Article 15 Service Restriction and Cessation
Tokyo 2020 will monitor the use of the Services, and if it deems it necessary, may restrict an ID User’s access to the Services, or cease providing the Services (including suspending the distribution of any email newsletters) to th
Article 16 Deletion of Information
Tokyo 2020 reserves the right to modify (by masking, etc.) or delete, in whole or in part, any Posted Information that is deemed inappropriate in the context of providing the Services, when it deems it necessary to do so.
Article 17 Interruption or Suspension of Services
- In the occurrence of any of the following events, Tokyo 2020 reserves the right to interrupt, cease, change, suspend or abolish the operation of the Services:
- When regular or emergency maintenance work is performed on the system for the Services;
- When internet services cannot be used due to a malfunction during the course of their use;
- When internet services cannot be used due to a fault in the communications equipment, etc. owned by the internet connection service provider for the Services;
- When the operation of the Services cannot be undertaken normally due to an emergency such as war, riot, disturbance, labour dispute, earthquake, eruption, flood or a similar event;
- When there has been a suspension, interruption or change, etc. of the services of the communications provider; or
- When Tokyo 2020 determines that an interruption or suspension of the operation of the Services is required for any other reason
- Tokyo 2020 shall notify the ID User not later than one month before any regular maintenance work is to be performed in accordance with item 1 of the preceding paragraph.
Article 18 Changes to User Registration Information
In the event there is an error in the User Registration Information, Tokyo 2020 reserves the right to change part of the content to the extent necessary.
Chapter 5 Others
Article 19 Disclaimers
- Except where attributable to its wilful misconduct or gross negligence, Tokyo 2020 shall in no event whatsoever be liable for any damages to the ID User or any third party arising out of or relating to the Services (including, without limitation, the provision of information). Such circumstances include, without limitation, the following:
- Damage incurred due to the ID User having blocked the receipt of email from Tokyo 2020 or having failed to cancel the block receipt setting;
- Damage incurred due to the ID User having failed to give the notification provided for in Article 9;
- Damage incurred due to the ID User having failed to perform his/her obligations as provided for in Article 10.1;
- Damage incurred due to suspension or cancellation of ID User’s qualification pursuant to Article 14.1; and
- Damage incurred due to interruptions or suspensions, etc. of the Services pursuant to Article 17.1
- Tokyo 2020 makes no warranty or guarantee, either explicitly or implicitly: (i) that the content of or the information provided via the Services is suitable for any specific purpose of the ID User; (ii) that the information provided via the Services does not infringe upon any third-party rights; or (iii) as to the safety, accuracy, certainty, usability, up-to-date nature or morality, etc. of the information provided via the Services.
Article 20 Liability for Damages
The ID User shall be liable for and provide compensation for any damage incurred by Tokyo 2020 or a third party due to his/her violation of the laws and regulations or the provisions of these Terms.
Article 21 General Terms
- The rights of Tokyo 2020 granted by or otherwise arising out of these Terms shall not be waived, except where Tokyo 2020 explicitly notifies the ID User otherwise.
- In the event of any of the provisions of these Terms being found to be invalid due to a conflict with the law, the other provisions herein shall remain in full force and effect.
Article 22 Language
The official language of these Terms shall be Japanese. In the event of a translation into another language being prepared, such translation is solely for reference purposes and shall not be legally binding.
Article 23 Governing Law
The establishment, validity, performance and interpretation of these Terms shall be governed by the laws of Japan.
Article 24 Jurisdiction
- Where there is any dispute arising between an ID User and Tokyo 2020 in connection with these Terms, such dispute shall be resolved between the parties in good faith.
- If the dispute cannot be resolved as provided for in the preceding paragraph, it will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Tokyo District Court as the court of first instance.
- These Terms shall become effective as of July 26, 2016.
- Revised as of January 17, 2019